The Portland Community Center is undergoing a major renovation. Once complete, the Community Center will serve as a hub for recreational, fitness, and meeting activity in Portland.
The City of Portland plans to use this opportunity to showcase Portland through large-format photography displayed on the entryway walls in the new Community Center and other areas. No one has a better eye for Portland than the people who live here, so the City is conducting a photo contest to find photographic art to display in the Community Center.
The City may use up to 12 photos chosen from the contest entries to display in the Community Center. Winners will be part of the unveiling of the new Community Center and will be included in promotional materials about the contest. Other submitted photos may be used on the City website, Facebook page, city channel, other City facilities, and other City showcases. In all cases, photo credit will be provided.
All entries must be submitted on an official entry form. Download official submission form.
If there are people who can be identified in the photo(s) and the photo was taken in a non-public place, a photo release for each identifiable person must be submitted for the photo to be considered. Download photo release form.
- Entries will be accepted March 11 through March 25, 2019.
- Photographs entered in the contest must have been taken in the past three years.
- Entry forms and photos must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 25, 2019.
Contest Rules & Entry Information
- There is no fee to enter the contest.
- The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers, as well as to Portland residents and non-residents.
- City employees and their families are not eligible to enter.
- The contestant must be the actual photographer for each image submitted under their name.
- Photographs must be taken in and around Portland and must have been taken during the past three years.
- Contestants may enter up to five photographs.
- Entries received from a minor must have parental consent to enter the contest.
- Photos and submission information must be submitted with the official submission form. Download official submission form.
- Photo must be a digital file sent to email@example.com. Photos may be sent through a large file transfer program like WETRANSFER. Be sure to include “Picture Portland photo submission” in the subject or message line.
- The City will not accept hard copies of photographs or emailed photographs without a submission form.
- The City of Portland is not responsible for entries lost through the entry procedure.
- If there are identifiable people in the photo and it was taken in a non-public space, it is the responsibility of the photographer to obtain written permission to use the photo and to include that written permission with the photo submission. Download photo release form.
- Incomplete entries will not be judged.
- Providing a title or photo identifier, date (year only is okay), and location for the photograph is required.
- The City of Portland reserves the right to remove from the contest any submitted image that depicts illegal, unsafe, patently offensive, or otherwise inappropriate content, advertising, content implying City support or sponsorship, or any other content that the City deems contrary to the goals and intent of the contest.
- Any submission received after the entry deadline will not be eligible.
By submitting, contestants must agree to the following:
I hereby give permission to the City of Portland or anyone authorized by the City of Portland to use and/or reproduce any or all digital images for any purpose including multi-media publications (print, Internet, broadcast television, presentations, and internal City use) without compensation to me. The City will make every reasonable effort to ensure the creator of the image is properly credited when the image is used.
- I understand that my submittal may be used in its entirety or in part and may be revised, modified, or combined with other images for use by the City and its designees.
- I understand that any digital images submitted will become and remain property of the City.
- I understand that any digital images submitted may be reviewed by the public and may be displayed in City facilities or public spaces.
- I have received permission from all person(s) in the photograph(s) for use of their image as part of my entry into the City of Portland’s Picture Portland Photo Contest.
- I certify that the photos I submitted are unique and original, taken by me, and do not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- I certify that I have read and understand the rules of the contest.
- JPG digital format
- Orientation: Landscape
- Preferred resolution: 3000 x 2400 (pixels) at 300 dpi
Photos will be judged on the basis of visual appeal (quality and clarity), pictorial composition, and originality as well as how well the photograph portrays the community of Portland. Decisions of the judging panel are final. Winners will be notified by phone or email, and will be included in the unveiling ceremony of their photo(s) at the Portland Community Center
Information contained in these official rules is for reference only and is subject to change. The City of Portland reserves the right to revise, amend, or repeal these contest rules at any time.