Click to Home

Go To Search
PortlandTXSunset_thumb.jpg

Library History
Original building
Original Library Building
 On October 11, 1933 the Chatwork Club made the decision to construct and maintain a library for the citizens of Portland. Records indicate that the structure was completed by November 1 of that same year with a total cost of $473.20. The library was opened with 51 books that had been purchased and 253 books that had been donated.

Second Library Building
Second Library Building and Location in Former Portland State Bank

 By November 1957, it had become apparent that Portland had outgrown it's proud little building. Thanks to the generous contributions of the Bell Family, and matching funds from the City of Portland, a new library was located  in the former Portland State Bank Building.

 


New Library
New Library and Addition
Almost 30 years later, in November 1984, construction was completed on a new library at the current Memorial Parkway location. In October 2006, the library was rededicated after a complete renovation and addition had taken place.